“There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this, try searching the web or contacting support for help. This code might help: (0x8024a105)”. I know you have seen this while attempting Windows update on your computer.
You get this error code usually when trying to install KB4020102 Windows update. However, the issue isn’t limited to this specific version of Windows update error. It arises due to multiple reasons like an incomplete installation or any changes pertaining to hardware or software.
- 1 Solve Windows 10 Update Error code 0x8024a105
- 1.1 Solution 1: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- 1.2 Solution 2: Restart Your Computer
- 1.3 Solution 3: Reset Software Distribution Folder
- 1.4 Solution 4: Switch between Your Internet Connections
- 1.5 Solution 5: Reset the Catroot2 Folder
- 1.6 Solution 6: Employ DISM Tool
- 1.7 Solution 7: Reinstall Microsoft Windows 10 and its driver
- 1.8 Conclusion
Solve Windows 10 Update Error code 0x8024a105
I hate errors. Who doesn’t! Every time a download windows update notification hits our system, our heart beats faster with excitement. We await some refinements. A shady cloud of disappointment engulfs us when the update download goes wrong. That’s why you are going to read how to fix Windows update issue code 0x8024a105.
Solution 1: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Microsoft knows you may get yourself into a mess when trying to download and install a windows update. They have embedded a troubleshooter with the operating system to rescue you out of such situations. Let us try solving code 0x8024a105 issue with this tool.
- Hit the win key or start button and search for Windows update settings. You will get what you want as the first result (Check for updates).
- On the left pane, you can see myriad of options, of which Troubleshoot is the one you must click.
- Now on the main window, you can see an option to Run the troubleshooter. Don’t pull yourself back from clicking on it.
The tool will search for the issues in Windows update and most probably, it will fix if any. In case it finds anything, which isn’t auto-fixable, you will be given recommendations.
Solution 2: Restart Your Computer
Sometimes, the most complicated problems cease to exist on the simplest solutions. In the dread of losing the update progress, you might not have restarted the computer yet. Don’t be scared! You need to eliminate the error code 0x8024a105 any way.
- Click the start button or hit the Win key to get the start menu.
- Select the Shut down button to get the power options.
- You get a few options here. Just go with Restart.
There you go! When the system restarts itself and shows you the desktop, you can try updating once again.
Solution 3: Reset Software Distribution Folder
Even if you don’t know, there is a software distribution folder on your Windows 10 computer. Sometimes, the error code may cause due to the issues related to this.
- You know how to open command prompt, don’t you? (Hit Start button>> Search for Command Prompt>> Right-click>> Run as administrator). Choose Yes if prompted.
- Enter the following commands in individual lines, one by one.
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
- In this step, we are going to locate the Software Distribution. Hit Win key+ R simultaneously to get the Run dialogue box.
- Now, enter C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution. You will see a new folder getting opened in the file explorer.\
- Check and Select all the files inside this and delete them. In case you are afraid of another mess, just move them to the recycle bin.
- It’s time to return to the command prompt again. Click to copy and Enter the following commands and press enter.
net start bits
net start wuauserv
- Once you verify you have done and followed all the steps given above, you can reboot the computer.
- Try installing or downloading the updates again. You won’t see 0x8024a105 issue ever again.
Solution 4: Switch between Your Internet Connections
You are going to get a simple fix. In case the above method doesn’t work for you, there are chances this one will.
Are you using a WiFi connection to update the computer? Just disconnect and use a Cat5 cable to connect to the internet. In case you already are connected to the web using LAN, it’s time to switch to a wireless network. I recommend you to restart your PC once.
Still getting the error? You can try the following solutions then.
Solution 5: Reset the Catroot2 Folder
Catroot2 is a folder in Windows 10 dedicated for the process of updating the operating system. During the process, the folder stores signatures of the update package to help in the installation. Here, we are going to reset the folder to see if it has an impact on the occurrence of the 0x8024a105 problem.
- I have already instructed you how to open command prompt. Just do that.
- Enter the following commands into the window once you see it.
net stop cryptsvc
xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old /s
- It’s time to clear the folder. For that, open Run dialogue box (hit win key+ R simultaneously).
- Type C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 into the text box. You can now see the folder.
- Select all the files present there and delete them.
- Open the command prompt window again. Enter this command.
net start cryptsvc
- Restart your computer to bring the changes into effect.
Also Read:- 10 ways to Fix Not Registered on Network Error
Solution 6: Employ DISM Tool
- Open command prompt (you have already read twice how to launch it). Don’t forget to run it as an administrator.
- Type this command into the command prompt window.
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
- It will search the entire file system for errors and solve instantly if found any.
- Restart your computer once the scan is over. And, update the system again.
Solution 7: Reinstall Microsoft Windows 10 and its driver
Don’t jump straight into this solution to fix 0x8024a105 Microsoft Windows 10 update error. Count it as the last resort to eliminate the issue. You need to have a bootable disk or USB drive for this.
Caution:- Don’t rename or delete Catroot2 or SoftwareDistribution folder. It will only invite chaos.
You have got seven solutions. As read earlier, count the last one as the final resort. Get through the rest to find if the issue gets fixed. I am sure you can escape from Windows 10 update error code 0x8024a105 using other half a dozen solutions given above. Do you have any other solutions? Don’t forget to leave your suggestions in the comment section below.